Most of us picture decks as wooden backyard structures with propane grills set on top. But don’t fall into that design trap. For something completely different, incorporate urban elements when you build a deck in Washington, DC.
The urban aesthetic is crisp, cool, youthful and vibrant. Urban design is littered with trends – metal, black, acrylic, steel, and all things that go blink in the night. Combine the traditional concept of the backyard deck with a little urban design flair, and you’ll build a deck in Washington, DC, that is sophisticated and stylish.
Here are a few urban design tips for when you build a deck in Washington, DC:
- Make sure the structure of your deck is able to bear the weight required by code
- Use lighter colors and reflective materials to prevent heat build-up
- Consider the surrounding architectural elements when selecting materials
- Blend indoors and out with coordinated pots containing flowering tropical plants, a mix of small shrubs and trees, or a field-splash of color
- Consider privacy needs before design and materials selection
- Spend liberally to create shade and privacy, especially if neighbors have direct views
- Work in acoustical absorption tiles and materials to soften city sounds
- Some decking materials resist cold, snow, and ice better than others – keep your maintenance goals in mind when you build a deck in Washington, DC
- Include splash accents such as painted wrought iron, or colorful chairs or cushions
- Pergolas, gazebos, and arbors are natural shade partners for your deck
- Your deck is the perfect place for an herb or specialty vegetable garden – consider built-in container boxes to get started, or fill an old toy wagon with soil and get started
Incorporating urban design elements when you build a deck in Washington, DC is a fun, smart, and functional way to set your DC deck apart from the ordinary.