Before trying to find the finest fence contractor, you will first need to have an idea about which materials you want to use and the style of the fence you want to install. Some fence contractors in Northern Virginia only specialize in certain product lines, so you need to do your research according to your preference of materials and styles.
Wood, vinyl, and aluminum have become some of the most popular material choices because of low prices and easy installation. You also need to consider the style such as picket, privacy, or semi-privacy, the height of your fence and accessories such as gates and post caps.
In looking for the finest fence contractor in Northern Virginia, you should get a written estimate from several different contractors and then weigh the pros and cons of each company. One of the easiest ways to find a qualified fence contractor is by asking your friends and neighbors. They are one of your best sources of information and can advise you on the best ones and also tell you the ones to stay clear of.
Once you have a few in mind, some questions you should ask before hiring a fence contractor in Northern Virginia include:
- Is the company licensed to do business in your state and do they have insurance including liability and workman’s compensation? General liability protects your property from damage caused by the contractor or his fence crew. Worker’s compensation protects you from liability if one of the workers are injured on your property.
- Will the fence contractor notify Miss Utility to verify and mark the location of buried gas, water, and power lines? A good contractor will also ask for a copy of your survey records to verify exactly where your property lines are.
- Can the company provide you with references from satisfied customers and contact information so these customers can testify to the quality of their work?
- What is the company’s policy for waste removal and cleanup? Is there an extra fee involved? If tearing down and old fence to put up a new fence, what charges for removing the old structure?
- Will the contractor or a foreman be on the job at all times? Most larger companies who handle several jobs at once will only have a foreman on high-profile jobs. Working with a smaller company may provide you with a more personalized service.
- What kind of warranty do you offer for the installation? What is the manufacturer’s product warranty? Make sure you have this in writing.
The best fence contractors in Northern Virginia won’t object to answering these questions or providing you documentation on licensing, insurance, or a written estimate.