Are you planning to build a deck in Arlington, VA? While some people are cut out for taking on this project themselves, most want to find a reputable, qualified deck builder for Arlington, VA custom decks.
In the early years of the suburban deck movement in the 1970’s, people who were interested in making outdoor home improvements were largely on their own. They measured, cut and hammered their way to a simple wooden platform with railings.
Fast-forward to 2014 and the process of building a deck in Arlington, VA has become somewhat more complicated. It just makes sense to have an experienced deck builder in Arlington, VA to advise you on your investment and navigate zoning ordinances, historic districts, covenants and restrictions required by home owners’ associations and making the right decisions about the overwhelming variety of materials, features and amenities that will help make your custom deck the right deck for your home and your lifestyle.
Here are some tips to keep in mind as you are start planning to build your deck while you search for a reliable, trustworthy deck builder in Arlington, VA:
- A home improvement contractor should be licensed and insured. Verify credentials with the Virginia State Corporation Commission and check for any legal issues with the Better Business Bureau.
- Research basics on how to build a deck in Arlington, VA, including layout, flow, placement of doors and stairways, and the shape, size, and number of deck levels.
- If your custom deck will include extensive site grading, structural work, or plan to add electrical, plumbing or outdoor kitchen components, make sure your deck builder in Arlington, VA has the prerequisite skills and experience.
- Budget for safety and amenities such as railings, lighting, built in seating and storage.
- Factor in prevailing winds and shade coverage before finalizing your preliminary deck plan.
- Ask for a list of references so you can select those that appeal to you.
- Check each candidate’s website to get a sense of the deck builder’s culture, work portfolio, and policies.
- Make a list of critical questions to ask your top candidates, including permitting details, estimated project timeline, warranties and financial arrangements.
Why hire a reputable deck builder in Arlington, VA? Because when you build a deck it is an extension of your home and an investment in your quality of life, so why not build the deck of your dreams and have it done right?