The secret to engineering complete privacy when you build a deck in Washington, DC is exploring the possibilities. A well-designed and landscaped deck is truly a “living extension” of your home. It is an exceptionally unique, comfortable outdoor living space that captures your personal style. When planning to build a deck in Washington, DC, or renovate an existing deck, privacy can be thoughtfully integrated into the configuration of your deck space. If done successfully your deck space will offer you and your guests a secluded haven from the harried world.
Deck designers use specific materials and design principles to create these elevated sanctuaries so you can enjoy the beauty of nature right at home with minimal intrusion from neighbors, traffic, and other unwanted urban disruptions. There are various components you can add when you build deck in Washington, DC to create privacy that also add a sense of style and functional beauty to your city deck:
- Install a perimeter of evergreens around a portion of your deck to block prying eyes and filter noise.
- Divide outdoor deck space with hanging all-weather fabrics or blinds from a screen or curtain rod.
- Create an artistic privacy wall of glass construction blocks. Joined by clear exterior caulk, the right glass blocks create a visual and sound barrier between you and your neighbors while allowing natural sunlight to shine through.
- A simple and economical solution, strategically positioned tightly-woven lattice panels offer increased privacy. Painted or stained to match your architecture and landscape, lattice panels can be used in many areas of your landscape as an attractive privacy wall, a decorative backdrop for climbing flowered vines, and to cleverly cover storage spaces.
- Include an outdoor accent feature, such as a gazebo, pergola or arbor, on your deck. When you build a deck in Washington, DC these accents add dimension, color, texture, and opportunities to enhance privacy with hanging baskets, or hanging fabric panels.
- Build planters around a portion of your wood deck perimeter to hold seasonal blooms, shrubs, or a kitchen herb garden.
- Install a retractable awning, or place multiple colorful outdoor umbrellas around your deck. They deliver critical shade and block second-story neighborhood views.
Using these simple deck privacy ideas when you build a deck in Washington, DC, you can integrate privacy features without feeling hemmed in. For more deck design and privacy enhancement ideas, contact your local deck contractors at Hal Co Fence and Deck. Established in 1981, the experienced Hal Co professionals have installed thousands of well-built fences, decks, porticoes, arbors, and screened porches throughout the Northern Virginia region. We can help you build a deck in Washington, DC incorporating outdoor living solutions that work best for you.