No doubt, wooden fences are still quite popular in the Northern, VA area. Homeowners enjoy the rustic look you can get with a wooden fence, and with common sense fence maintenance, a treated wood fence can last up to twenty years.
To get the maximum life out of your wooden fence in Northern, VA, you will need to indulge in regular fence maintenance. Without the proper fence maintenance, you can take years off the life of your fence.
Changes in the weather are incredibly unkind to your wooden fence. Your fence maintenance at your Northern, VA home must include a plan to combat problems caused by water absorption and water loss, mildew growth, and discoloration due to the sun’s rays.
Mildew—Whenever a wood fence is consistently exposed to moist or humid weather, it will likely mildew. Your fence maintenance for your Northern, VA home should include cleaning your fence with a mildewcide cleaner to keep your fence attractive.
Sun’s Rays—In order to block the sun’s rays from discoloring your wooden fence to a weathered gray color, apply a water-repellent finish with an ultraviolet stabilizer to slow down the process.
Initial Wood Fence Maintenance
- Clean your wood fence with a cleaner brighter that contains a mildewcide.
- Apply a sealant to protect the surface. Use a pigmented or clear wood sealer that will allow moisture vapor to leave the wood slowly after being applied. Do this once the new wood has dried out after the installation at your Northern, VA home.
First Year Fence Maintenance
- Reapply cleaner brightener.
- Apply another coat of sealant.
Periodic Wood Maintenance
- You may only need to clean and recoat once every two years. If you wait any longer, you may want to use a power washer.
- After cleaning, reapply an outdoor wood sealer that contains an ultraviolet stabilizer and water repellent.
No doubt you still may experience some wood swelling and shrinking. The most common natural defects include warping, twisting, and splitting. Regular fence maintenance for your Northern, VA fence will significantly reduce these natural defects.