There are many things you need to know before you build your deck in Manassas, VA. Here are five that we feel are worth highlighting:
1. The City of Manassas requires a building permit for all new decks on posts or footings, and the enclosure of any existing deck. Visit their website for detailed information regarding Home Improvement Project Building Permit Requirements and the prerequisite Applications, Forms and Fees.
2. Building a deck in Manassas, VA within the Historical Overlay District requires Architectural Review Board (ARB) approval prior to the issuance of any “building and/or zoning permit requiring exterior modifications.”
3. Planning is key to getting the right finished product when you build a deck in Manassas, VA. Hiring a reputable, professional deck contractor is essential to getting a safe, properly engineered and constructed deck that meets all codes and requirements. Verify licenses, certifications and references before signing a contract.
4. Most people want to build a deck in Manassas, VA adjacent to their kitchen. Take into account variables that may impact the site of your new deck, including:
- sun exposure and shade sources
- existing doors, windows or vents
- underground cables, pipes or tanks
- access to electric and water systems
- drainage and erosion provisions
5. What do you want to do on your deck? How you enjoy your deck will influence the design, flow, features and materials that work best for your needs. Outdoor kitchen? Hot tub? Fireplace? The more features you include, the more complex your deck design, the more time and expertise you need to create your ultimate personal outdoor living experience.
Call the deck experts at Hal Co to take advantage of our three decades of deck building expertise, and have confidence that, working together, we can build a deck in Manassas, VA that exceeds your expectations.