The best way to choose a deck contractor in Northern, VA is usually by word of mouth. Check with your friends, neighbors, or co-workers for recommendations for a deck contractor. Make sure they have used the deck contractor before or know someone who has. A deck contractor’s reputation with former clients is the best judgment of their work.
Be sure to ask a lot of questions of those who recommend a particular deck contractor in Northern, VA including—
- Were they easy to work with?
- Were you given a free estimate?
- Did the contractor stay within the estimated cost, and if not, the reason for the difference?
- Did the contractor start the project on time and finish it within the allotted time frame. If not, why?
- Was the contractor’s crew respectful to you and your family? Did they clean up after themselves each day they were on the job?
- Was the contractor flexible on any changes you made and easy to work with to adjust the costs?
- Would they hire the deck contractor again?
Once you get a few recommendations, check to see if the deck contractor has a website and browse through the reviews from other customers. Go for a drive and check out some of the decks the contractor has built in your area of Northern, VA.
Call a few of the deck contractors and ask them questions before setting up an appointment.
- Who handles getting the permits?
- Who contacts the public utilities to have the underground lines marked?
- Ask for referrals, and if you can, visit a site they are currently working in Northern, VA.
- When can they start and when can you expect them to be finished?
- Are they licensed and insured?
Once you decide on a particular deck contractor, you should ask them to come to your property site in Northern, VA and discuss all the details including—
- Does the deck contractor’s estimate include all details for your deck in Northern, VA?
- Does it list all the materials and quantities of each that is needed for your particular deck in Northern, VA?
- Does it list the start time and finish?