A Deck or Patio for Your Northern VA Home?Tuesday, January 15th, 2013
Considering a deck or patio for your Northern VA home? You know you want to create an outdoor recreational space to be enjoyed by the whole family. Both a deck and patio can accomplish this, but what about the cost? That is the determining factor for many homeowners when choosing between a deck and a patio.
Of course, there is planning that you must do which will affect the cost of the project no matter which you choose:
- Consider the square footage you intend to cover. The space you intend to fill must be of a certain size to even accommodate a deck or patio, although a patio usually takes up less overall room. A patio is more labor intensive, however due to the fact that the land must be cleared and leveled in preparation of the stones or bricks. The deck will take up more space, but is easier to put up because it requires no landscaping.
- What design do you have in mind? A patio is usually either round or square and is laid at ground level. The deck gives you a few more options here, because it can be built on multiple levels and not just in line with the first floor. Experts, like those at Hal Co., can also help you design options.
- What kind of materials do you want to use? Decks are usually made of wood, specifically cedar, redwood, or other pressure treated wood, and alternatively a composite material. The cost of composite materials is a little higher, but they are becoming popular because of their ease of maintenance and long life span. Patios usually consist of tiles or bricks made of stone or concrete.
- How much maintenance do you want to do? Wood materials require regular sealing cleaning and painting. Plastic composite decking needs less maintenance. Patio materials are brick or stone and stand up to power washing and hard scrubbing, making them longer lasting in general.
- Who do you want to hire? Call professionals like Hal Co, and ask if they have licensing, insurance, and references. Ask for quotes, and get those in writing; be very careful – under quoting often leaves room for additional fees or problems down the road.
- These variables create a situation that gives you options to fit any budget. Ultimately, the right project depends on what the area is going to be used for. Patios are better for outdoor cooking and other movement oriented activities, while the deck is better for sit down eating, entertaining, and reading.
For more information on decks in Northern VA, please contact Hal Co Fence. Serving all of Northern Virginia, as well as Washington DC, the Hal Co Fence deck experts will work with you to create the deck that is perfect for your Northern VA home.