Before you build a deck in Arlington, VA, there are basic questions that need answers to avoid preventable hassles, project delays and cost overruns. Working with a licensed, experienced professional fence company assures you have access to trained, qualified fencing experts to help you successfully navigate the deck building process. It also provides you with a quality, finished deck that brings enjoyment and increased value to your Arlington property.
The Arlington County Department of Community Planning, Housing & Development (CPHD) is the governing authority that oversees construction regulations, permitting, and inspections. Note their offices are open Monday through Friday, 8am – 4:30pm, but are closed at 12 noon every third Thursday. Keep their contact numbers handy for quick reference when you start to build your deck. Arlington, VA, residents can contact Inspection Services at 703-228-3800. To reach the Zoning Department call 703-228-3883.
When you build a deck in Arlington, VA, the answers to basic questions regarding the placement of your new deck, the extent of the scope of work, and the complexity of your project will drive many of your building decisions. Well before footers are poured you need to:
- Determine applicable zoning ordinances
- Apply for permits, including a Residential Building Permit, Mechanical, Electrical and/or a Plumbing Permit
- Create Construction Documents meeting the Residential Permit Submission Requirements for permit approval
- Select surface and structural support materials, along with desired deck design components and features
- Contact Miss Utility before plans are finalized
- Pay permitting fees based on the details of your new deck
According to the Building Arlington website an Affidavit of Permit Authorization is needed if someone other than the permit holder is getting the permit. For more information on how to build a deck in Arlington, VA, check the Arlington County website at http://building.arlingtonva.us/project/building-a-deck/, or contact the knowledgeable professionals at Hal Co Fence & Deck – constructing high-quality decks and outdoor structures in Northern Virginia for almost 40 years.