The experts at Halco Fence – a Burke, VA deck builder – advise that you follow these tips to enjoy your deck for years to come.
- Keep your deck clean, according to the recommendations of your deck manufacturer and deck builder. Clean your deck before it is sealed, because no deck preservative will work effectively unless you apply it when your deck is clean. Be aware that prepping a deck for its periodic coat of waterproof sealant can be a big job without the right cleaner and tools.
- Read and follow the directions of deck maintenance products every time. All of deck maintenance products will cause problems if they are not applied in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Keep your deck sealed; an unprotected deck will deteriorate quickly. The only way to protect your deck successfully over time is to apply a deck preservative, such as sealers, stains and paints on the market especially designed for deck use.
- Provide regular maintenance for your deck. You can keep your wood or composite deck looking good longer by getting a jump on potential problems. Sweep your deck frequently. Do not let leaves (especially wet leaves) accumulate. Keep shrubs trimmed back from the deck and clean the debris between boards. Remove food and animal droppings as soon as possible.
- Be vigilant about the condition of your deck. Take care of water problems and mildew growth, check nails and boards, and get rid of insect problems. Do not forget to check on loose treads on the stairs and fix wobbly railings.