Composite decking at homes in Leesburg, VA is typically made up of wood and plastic. The particles of wood can be anything from sawdust, wood chips, and fiber pieces, whereas the plastic components may either be virgin or recycled plastic. These wood and plastic products are combined under high pressure to create a durable material that is rot-resistant.
These individual boards are uniform and straight plus crack-resistant but not crack-proof. A composite deck can crack due to stress by a settling foundation or if it was a poor design. Simple wear and tear can cause cracking or if the pieces were faulty. Because of this, your damaged deck in Leesburg, VA may require composite deck repair on rare occasions.
The composite deck repair for a cracked decking board may simply consist of checking first underneath the board to see if the board is cracked on the bottom, if not, and it is only cracked on the top, just unscrew the board and flip it over and screw it back — a simple, hassle-free composite deck repair for homes in Leesburg, VA.
In the case where you can’t reverse the decking board on your deck in Leesburg, VA, your composite deck repair may go somewhat like this—
- Blow air into the crack.
- With an air compressor, use an air nozzle to blow away any twigs, chips, dust, or other debris from inside the crack.
- Use a putty knife to clean out crack if any debris gets stuck.
- Repeat the process with the air compressor and nozzle for any other cracked boards.
- Clean out the crack with mineral spirits and let dry.
- Squeeze in composite filler to fill in the crack and scrape off excess with a putty knife to create a smooth surface.
- Let dry, sand to smooth, and stain.
Homeowners in Leesburg, VA who have composite decking may also choose to hire a professional decking company for all their composite deck repairs. Hal Co Fence can set up a regularly scheduled maintenance plan for your deck, where they will come out and inspect your deck for any necessary repairs. At that time, they can give you an estimate on the costs of your composite deck repairs for your home in Leesburg, VA, and set up a time to come back out and repair your deck to like-new condition.