Has your wooden deck become a dull gray? Is it peeling or splintering? Are nails popping out? Are there signs of mildew? With just a few easy steps you can refinish your wooden deck at your home in Northern, VA so you can start planning those big social events that you have been avoiding because your deck is so unbecoming.
Follow these easy steps and transform your dreary old wooden deck into a beautiful vibrant area to once again enjoy the good times with family and friends entertaining outside your home in Northern, VA.
- Inspect the Wooden Deck—Clean debris from your deck with a broom or blower. Visually inspect for split or rotten decking boards. If any are found, replace these boards before refinishing the deck.
- Clean Wooden Deck Surface—Use a good wood deck cleaner that is effective in removing mildew stains and bleaching of the wooden deck.
- Power Washing—Some wooden decks in Northern, VA will require a deeper cleaning requiring the use of a power washer. The pressure will depend on the type of wood decking boards at your Northern, VA home. Some homeowners will have their whole house power washed along with their deck before they refinish their wooden decks.
- Sanding—Using a power washer will raise wood fibers as they expand with water. Once the decking boards dry, some of the wood fibers can raise and cause splinters. For a more professional looking job, sand your wood deck before applying any stain.
- Applying Stain—Let your wooden deck dry out for at least two days at your home in Northern, VA before applying any stain. If there is still water in the pores of the wood, the stain will not absorb properly into the wooden deck. Select either an oil based semi-transparent stain if you want to see the grain of the wood or a solid opaque stain if you want the finish to look like paint. Use a stain or sealer that is water repellent.
Now that your wooden deck has been completely refinished at your Northern, VA home, all that is left is cleaning up and moving back the grill and patio furniture. Now you are ready for your first cookout on you new looking wooden deck.