If you are thinking about a D-I-Y fence installation for your Springfield, VA home, you will first need to know your property line. You don’t want to build on your neighbor’s property in Springfield, VA and then later have to remove the fence and repeat the fence installation on your own property.
The property’s boundaries could be described in your deed, or you might find the information at the assessor’s office. You may need to have your property surveyed if you do not know your boundaries. Once you know your property lines in Springfield, VA, there are other things that you need to do to prepare for your fence installation.
- Fence installations in Fairfax County cannot exceed four feet in height in the front yard of your property except:
- Up to six feet may be permitted with the approval of Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Up to eight feet may be permitted when a corner lot abuts a major thoroughfare.
- Up to seven feet may be permitted on lots of two acres or more in the R-A through R-1 Districts.
- A fence cannot exceed seven feet in the side or rear yard except:
- Eight feet may be permitted on a reverse frontage lot or lots with a yard within 150 feet of a major thoroughfare or abutting open space.
- Building permits are not required for fences of any height unless the fence is for pedestrian safety or used around a swimming pool. In these incidences, a permit is required.
- On a corner lot, the two yards lying between the building and intersecting streets are both deemed to be front yards.
- You will need to contact your state utility department and have them come out and mark your property in Springfield, VA for underground utilities like gas lines, cable, and telephone.
You will also need to take into consideration obstructions such as trees and bushes on your property in Springfield, VA that might interfere with your fence installation. You will need to decide if you want your fence to go around the obstacles or if you want to remove the obstacles before you start your fence installation on your Springfield, VA property.