Rather you have small children, pets, or just want to define your boundary lines around your property, wooden fences are a great solution to enclose your Manassas, VA, home. Wooden fences come in a variety of styles and materials. A wooden fence is relatively inexpensive compared to other fencing materials. You can either paint or stain wooden fences any color to match your home and surrounding landscaping in Manassas, VA.
Different Types of Wood Materials for Wooden Fences
- Pine—Pine is quite popular because it is a soft wood and makes it easier to work with, it can also be treated to be termite and rot resistant, and it resists shrinkage, swelling and warping.
- Spruce—Spruce is a harder wood, lightweight, and has moderate shrinkage making it a good choice.
- Redwood—Redwood is long lasting and absorbs finishes well, plus it is naturally termite and rot resistant. It does tend to be somewhat more expensive than other wood types.
- Cedar—Cedar is easy to work with and long lasting. It is also resistant to decay and has a sweet odor with a nice reddish color. It is relatively more expensive than other wood choices.
- Cypress—Cypress is hard and durable with a few knots. It has a natural preservative oil, cypressene, which makes it resistant to decay and insects.
Different Styles of Wooden Fences
- Picket Fences—Picket fences have been around since the colonial days. Its vertical pickets supported by horizontal strips is still a popular choice around Manassas, VA. Homeowners are pleased with the beauty it adds to their home as well as creating a distinct border around their home even though it does not add privacy.
- Board on Board—Board on Board fences have overlapping panels which make it a sturdier fence and creates full privacy. The extra wood used in construction does make it somewhat more expensive.
- Stockade—Stockade fences consist of tightly-placed panels, no space in between panels. This style of wooden fences does provide privacy but diminishes through the years because the boards warp and gaps appear over time.
- Post and Rail—Post and Rail fences are an excellent choice to create a country look and are most popular for vast areas of land such as farms and parks.
Wooden fences are a great solution for most homeowners in Manassas, VA. The only downfall is in the upkeep which requires periodic restaining or repainting to keep it looking attractive at all times.