A wooden fence installation in Manassas, VA, brings many challenges to a do-it-yourselfer. Even the best of the best novice do-it-yourselfers will face a few challenges along the way. Building a wooden fence can be quite intricate not to mention the exhaustive labor involved in the process.
Before you even buy the lumber you need to consider these steps:
- Mark off your property lines. If you are not exactly sure of the boundaries of your property in Manassas, VA, you will need to hire a professional survey company to give you the proper lines because if you install your fence on your neighbor’s property, you will have to tear it down and start over.
- Check your local building codes and homeowners association if you have one. Building codes regulate fencing heights so check before starting your project. Your zoning department can also tell you what the setback requirement for your fence installation needs to be from your actual property line. Also, HOA’s have fencing guidelines you will need to follow as well.
- Obtain a building permit. Usually adding any outdoor structure such as a deck, patio or fence requires a building permit.
- Call Miss Utility. Before you dig, you need to call Miss Utility to ensure you do not strike any wires or pipes.
- Decide on the purpose of your fence. Do you want a fence for security, privacy, safety or appearance?
- Plan your layout. Walk off the area where you want to install your fence. Layout your plan on graphing paper and be sure to include where you want to install gates.
- Select the style for your wooden fence installation. There are many different styles from which to choose including lattice, post, and rail, picket, and stockade.
Once you have an idea about the layout and the style for the wooden fence installation you want, take your plans to a local home improvement center in Manassas, VA, and have them give you a quote for the materials you will need. Also, make sure that you have all the proper tools that are required for the installation.
Hal Co Fence is a family owned and operated fence and deck contractor serving the Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C. area. We would be happy to answer any of your questions regarding your wooden fence installation in Manassas, VA, or if you feel the challenge is too much for you to do–it-yourself, we can help you with the design process, selection of materials and styles, installation and clean up. Leave the work to us.