Because people are hurt every year by decks that collapse, Fairfax County’s top building official asks residents to check the safety of their decks every spring. Homeowners should check their decks before using them in the spring and summer, and there are five, easy tips to follow.
“Decks don’t last forever, so it’s important to check your deck regularly, especially if it’s older,” said Ray Pylant, Fairfax County’s building official. “Decks usually fall down because they aren’t attached to your home properly. Another common cause for injuries is loose guardrails or posts. But you can avoid injuries and accidents with regular inspections and maintenance.”
Follow these five safety tips:
- Check support posts and beams for rot, splitting or abnormal movement.
- Closely check the attachment points between the deck and the house.
- Check all fasteners, bolts, joist hangers and other hardware for rust or corrosion.
- Check all guards and rails to be sure they are sturdy and secured.
- Use grills, heaters and outdoor fire pits with care.
Warning signs that a deck may be unsafe include: loose or wobbly railings or support beams, missing or loose screws that connect a deck to the house, corrosion, rot and cracks.
Homeowners must get a county permit and inspections anytime they make structural repairs or changes to their deck. No matter where in Northern Virginia you live, in cities such as Alexandria, Annandale, McLean, Herndon or Purcellville, you can get more tips and information from Fairfax County’s Website or if you would like to speak to Hal Co professional deck contractor give us a call.
- Why a Deck Builder is Highly Recommended for Arlington, VA Homeowners
- Finding a Reputable Deck Builder in Washington, D.C.
- Wood Deck Builder Adds Outdoor Rooms With a View in Manassas, VA
- Budgeting for Decks in Northern Virginia
- Wood Deck vs. Patio Options for Homeowners in Manassas, VA
- How to Choose the Best Deck Builder in Arlington, VA
- Proper Rapport with Your Deck Contractor in Washington, D.C. is Essential
- Selecting a Wood Deck Builder in Leesburg, VA
- Suggestions for Hiring a Deck Building Contractor in Washington, DC
- Considerations Before You Build a Deck in Warrenton, VA
- Planning to Build a Deck in Gainesville, VA?
- Discuss Permitting Before Hiring a Deck Builder in Washington, D.C.
- When You Build a Deck in Leesburg, VA, Planning Details are Critical
- Are All Deck Builders in Arlington, VA the Same?
- Build a Deck in Washington, DC with Engineering Privacy
- Five Important Things to Know Before You Build a Deck
- A Deck or Patio for Your Northern VA Home?
- Want a “Green” Deck in Arlington, VA?
- Indoor Outdoor Spaces
- Screen Porches In Northern Virginia, Where Design Is As Important As Function
- A Unique Northern Virginia Deck Experience With the Right Lighting
- Your Deck Contractor’s Reputation Makes All The Difference in Northern Virginia
- Choosing The Right Deck Contractor In Northern Virginia
- Northern Virginia Decks Can Be Adorned with Many Outdoor Furniture Materials
- Safety Tips to Follow When You Build a Deck in Arlington, VA
- How to Prevent a Deadly Collapse Involving Custom Decks
- What else can a deck contractor do for you?
- Deck Safety Checks
- Pool Safety
- Decks, Cookouts and Grilling Safely
- How to Preserve Your Deck in Reston, VA with Proper Deck Maintenance
- Preserving Your Wood Deck in Reston, VA
- Removing Mold From Your Composite Deck
- Deck Care and Fence Maintenance Tips
- How to Maintain Your Wood Decks And Fences
- Save Your Northern Virginia Deck from Winter Weather Damage
- General Cleaning and Care For Your Composite Deck
- Working With a Professional Deck Builder in Gainesville, VA
- How to Make a Custom Deck Stand Out in Leesburg, VA
- A Deck Contractor in Manassas, VA – Check Them Out
- How to Benefit From a Custom Deck Builder in Washington, D.C.
- Before You Build a Deck in Leesburg, VA, Check Out This Years Design Trends
- Preparing for Your New Deck Installation in Great Falls, VA
- Planning Your Wood Deck in Leesburg, VA
- Hiring a Qualified Deck Contractor for Washington, DC Deck Projects
- Maximize Your Wood Deck’s Potential
- Before Revitalizing or Building Custom Decks Explore Fresh Design Options
- Top 10 Things to Consider when You Build Your Deck
- Fence Post Caps Add Elegant Touch to Fences, Decks
- Designing the Northern Virginia Deck of Your Dreams
- Decorating Tips for Your Northern Virginia Deck
- Choosing The Right Deck Design For Your Ashburn, VA Home
- Landscaping Ideas Around Your Northern Virginia Deck
- Railing Options for Northern Virginia Decks
- Transform Your Northern Virginia Deck into a Private Retreat
- Tips About Composite Decks For Gainesville, VA, Homeowners
- The Beauty of Capped Composite Decks for Manassas, VA, Homeowners
- What’s Behind The Growing Popularity of Composite Decks in Arlington, VA?
- What Is Composite Decking Made Of — And Is Right For Your Northern Virginia Lifestyle
- Composite Decking Brings Low Maintenance Beauty to Your Northern Virginia Home
- Consider Composite Decking as a Low Maintenance Option for Your Northern Virginia Home
- Vinyl Decking Offers Northern Virginia Homeowners Durability and Low Maintenance
- What is Pressure-Treated Wood for Decking?
- Red Cedar Offers Natural Strength, Durability as a Decking Material