You’ve made the decision to install the deck of your dreams to your Northern Virginia home. Congratulations! Adding a deck to your home not only extends your living space and allows you to conveniently entertain and enjoy the outdoors, but it also adds value to your home.
Your next step is deciding the size and shape of your deck. When planning your desk design, be aware that deck size and shape are complementary design elements that often go hand-in-hand. The golden rule in decks is simply making your deck large enough to give you space to do your desired outdoor activities. To figure out how large your deck needs to be, start with a sketch of your deck and assign each intended activity, be it a dining, cooking, reclining, or conversing, to a different part of the deck area. When sketching, keep these principles in mind:
- Give each activity its own space within the design. If possible, look for ways to make spaces do double duty. Separate each space with physical features, such as benches or planters, or changes in decking patterns and angles.
- Allow enough space for the activity, furniture, and traffic flow around the area.
- Outdoor furniture runs larger than indoor furniture, so add about a foot more space to each comparable interior item when planning for outdoor furniture.
- Allow space for pathways from the door to any stairs to be added to the deck. Pathways should be at least three or four feet wide at all points.
- Keep the size of the home and yard in mind. A large home can overwhelm a small deck and visa versa.
When considering the shape of your deck, there’s no need to feel boxed in. Decks come in nearly any shape, including squares, rectangles, angles, L-shapes, T-shapes, curves, and free forms. Factor in activity spaces, yard size, access points, and furniture when making your shape selection. Shapes dictate the whole feel of your deck, and the function that deck will serve. Geometric decks normally appear more formal, while free form and curved deck shapes suggest a more informal deck function. Looking to feel relaxed and at ease on your deck? Choose long lines and curves. For a more daring feel, choose sharp angles, especially when drawing attention towards an awe-inspiring view. Look to nature when deciding upon shape. A large, open space offering a Falls Church waterfront view can be complemented with a long deck and railing, while an urban Arlington backdrop can be accented with a sharp geometric deck shape.
Vinyl decks, a wooden decks and composite decks all have their own characteristics and advantages: vinyl decks are low maintenance and will look good for a long time, wooden decks have that warm natural wood feeling and composite decks can provide a combination of advantages. Hal Co Fence representatives are happy to discuss the pros and cons of the decking materials available and to help you decide which best suits your purpose and the your home.
Hal Co Fence and Deck Contractor
Contact Hal Co Fence Company for more deck information on fence and deck installation at your home in Great Falls, Vienna, Springfield, Reston, or any other Northern Virginia community. Our team of fence and deck contractor professionals will assist you with any design or installation inquiry you may have.
- Why a Deck Builder is Highly Recommended for Arlington, VA Homeowners
- Finding a Reputable Deck Builder in Washington, D.C.
- Wood Deck Builder Adds Outdoor Rooms With a View in Manassas, VA
- Budgeting for Decks in Northern Virginia
- Wood Deck vs. Patio Options for Homeowners in Manassas, VA
- How to Choose the Best Deck Builder in Arlington, VA
- Proper Rapport with Your Deck Contractor in Washington, D.C. is Essential
- Selecting a Wood Deck Builder in Leesburg, VA
- Suggestions for Hiring a Deck Building Contractor in Washington, DC
- Considerations Before You Build a Deck in Warrenton, VA
- Planning to Build a Deck in Gainesville, VA?
- Discuss Permitting Before Hiring a Deck Builder in Washington, D.C.
- When You Build a Deck in Leesburg, VA, Planning Details are Critical
- Are All Deck Builders in Arlington, VA the Same?
- Build a Deck in Washington, DC with Engineering Privacy
- Five Important Things to Know Before You Build a Deck
- A Deck or Patio for Your Northern VA Home?
- Want a “Green” Deck in Arlington, VA?
- Indoor Outdoor Spaces
- Screen Porches In Northern Virginia, Where Design Is As Important As Function
- A Unique Northern Virginia Deck Experience With the Right Lighting
- Your Deck Contractor’s Reputation Makes All The Difference in Northern Virginia
- Choosing The Right Deck Contractor In Northern Virginia
- Northern Virginia Decks Can Be Adorned with Many Outdoor Furniture Materials
- Safety Tips to Follow When You Build a Deck in Arlington, VA
- How to Prevent a Deadly Collapse Involving Custom Decks
- What else can a deck contractor do for you?
- Deck Safety Checks
- Pool Safety
- Decks, Cookouts and Grilling Safely
- How to Preserve Your Deck in Reston, VA with Proper Deck Maintenance
- Preserving Your Wood Deck in Reston, VA
- Removing Mold From Your Composite Deck
- Deck Care and Fence Maintenance Tips
- How to Maintain Your Wood Decks And Fences
- Save Your Northern Virginia Deck from Winter Weather Damage
- General Cleaning and Care For Your Composite Deck
- Working With a Professional Deck Builder in Gainesville, VA
- How to Make a Custom Deck Stand Out in Leesburg, VA
- A Deck Contractor in Manassas, VA – Check Them Out
- How to Benefit From a Custom Deck Builder in Washington, D.C.
- Before You Build a Deck in Leesburg, VA, Check Out This Years Design Trends
- Preparing for Your New Deck Installation in Great Falls, VA
- Planning Your Wood Deck in Leesburg, VA
- Hiring a Qualified Deck Contractor for Washington, DC Deck Projects
- Maximize Your Wood Deck’s Potential
- Before Revitalizing or Building Custom Decks Explore Fresh Design Options
- Top 10 Things to Consider when You Build Your Deck
- Fence Post Caps Add Elegant Touch to Fences, Decks
- Designing the Northern Virginia Deck of Your Dreams
- Decorating Tips for Your Northern Virginia Deck
- Choosing The Right Deck Design For Your Ashburn, VA Home
- Landscaping Ideas Around Your Northern Virginia Deck
- Railing Options for Northern Virginia Decks
- Transform Your Northern Virginia Deck into a Private Retreat
- Tips About Composite Decks For Gainesville, VA, Homeowners
- The Beauty of Capped Composite Decks for Manassas, VA, Homeowners
- What’s Behind The Growing Popularity of Composite Decks in Arlington, VA?
- What Is Composite Decking Made Of — And Is Right For Your Northern Virginia Lifestyle
- Composite Decking Brings Low Maintenance Beauty to Your Northern Virginia Home
- Consider Composite Decking as a Low Maintenance Option for Your Northern Virginia Home
- Vinyl Decking Offers Northern Virginia Homeowners Durability and Low Maintenance
- What is Pressure-Treated Wood for Decking?
- Red Cedar Offers Natural Strength, Durability as a Decking Material