Maintaining A Wood Deck in Loudoun County, VA Makes CentsFriday, August 16th, 2013
And, why not? What else but a well-designed wood deck adds living space, enhances the time you enjoy in your yard, and offers a suburban oasis to escape the cares of the day? Another benefit? A wood deck recoups, on average, 82 percent of your initial installation cost when your home is sold.
Though you may consider a professional deck maintenance company, you should also learn about the basics of seasonal care and long-term maintenance for outdoor wood decks. These are perfect DIY projects that can save you considerable money and prolong the active life of your deck investment.
MAP YOUR WOOD DECK
- Rough sketch your Loudoun County wood deck, including traffic patterns
- Know and note your wood or deck material varieties
- Draw entrance/exit pathways and areas leading up to your wood deck
- As a transition space your wood deck is simultaneously part of your house and your landscape. Choose materials and finishes that meet your functional demands and aesthetic design. That way your wood deck will be beautifully tailored and designed to last with minor maintenance required.
WOOD DECK CARE AND MAINTENANCE
Your wood deck in Loudoun County, no matter the finish, requires essential maintenance. Clean your deck when needed. Sweep leaves, needles, and twigs. Jettison debris stuck between boards. This blocks air flow, creating pools of surface moisture to feed mold and mildew growth. A pressure washer is a great tool for this job.
ANNUAL MAINTENANCE FOR WOOD DECKS IN LOUDOUN COUNTY, VA
- Clean your wood deck with deck detergent from your local hardware store. Spray and let stand 10 to 15 minutes. Use a sturdy brush to remove dirt and stains, and allow two to three days to thoroughly dry.
- Perform necessary repairs. Use a hammer and drive bothersome nails until flush with the deck surface. Repair or replace any deteriorated wood.
- Sand smooth rough spots on railings and decking to banish splinters.
- Once the deck has thoroughly dried refinish, refresh, or change your wood deck color; apply stain followed by clear, waterproof sealer.
Knowing and practicing the basics of seasonal wood deck care and long-term maintenance for decks can save you considerable money and preserve the beautiful lifetime of your wood deck in Loudoun County, Virginia.